10 Oct 2013

An Ivory Torpedo is Fired

1961 Torpedo 18b 1235923




Not that kind of fired, silly. Sorry for the short typecast, but I mangled my wrist a bit which makes typing on a typewriter keyboard a lot harder than on a computer!

There are three reasons why this isn't my perfect typewriter (although if it isn't the best one I own know, it's the second best). The first is that the platen isn't brand new, the second is that it types a little better when the ribbon advance is going towards the left compared to the right (probably fixable?), and the third is that it has a paint chip and some light scuffing.

The typeface has always captivated me. I love especially narrow or wide typefaces, and Esquire has one of the widest looks out there. It's another example of a good distinctive yet very useful typeface and it grows on me the more I use it.




In case if you missed, the Typewriter Repair Resource is gathering submissions for links.

Fired from my new Torpedo 18b.

13 comments:

  1. I like the typeface of this model, but I absolutely love the milky paint job! That typewriter looks edible. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should join my mint chocolate chip Triumph De Jur. :D

      Delete
  2. It looks so pure and clean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you have a tough time keeping ribbon inky fingerprints off the paintwork. It certainly photographs beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really had a problem with inky fingerprints in general, and there weren't any on it when I got it even though it wasn't clean.

      Delete
  4. I think this is the very same ivory-colored Torpedo I had saved on my wish list, if it is, I'm glad it ended up with a typospherian. You can't go wrong with a Torpedo that's in good shape, but I think the ivory color makes it even more desirable. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost as good as winning it yourself, really! I love it when typospherians win stuff i don't, except for the possible exception where they beat me by one bid increment. XD

      Delete
  5. That is a stunning looking machine. Such a beautiful colour. I've never seen one like that! It looks like it is all dressed up for a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First one I'd seen like it as well, right in conjunction with learning of its official existence. :)

      Delete
  6. Very nice looking typewriter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A dab of WhiteOut on that chip and all will be well. Or look at it through the Japanese Wabi Sabi aesthetic, or the Navajo "mistake" that lets the evil spirits loose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a white painting pen I use for that purpose, but the white is a bit too bright against the ivory (it's a little bit richer ivory looking in real life than in the photos) Imperfection is okay!

      Delete